Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Week 4 Question

The underlying theme to Michael Maniates article is that even if we think we are doing enough to help lessen our current and future environmental crisis, we are not. In our discussion groups last week we went over the idea of how many people think they are doing their part by recycling, unplugging electronics, and doing other small tasks when in fact the impact we humans in developed countries have on the world is much greater and must therefore be dealt with on a much broader and more committed scale. I myself, (although educated otherwise,) like to think that I am doing "my part" when I am consciously "saving energy" by turning off the water when I shave my legs, turning off lights when I leave the room, and other various simple procedures. We as individuals must not only do individual things, but we must ask as a group for the much needed global change. Maniates explains that we need to make huge changes in the energy, transportation, and agricultural systems which would require all of us to be changing at the same time, not just concerned individuals. It sounds hopeful, however, when he writes that Americans are "best when they are struggling together." I agree with this statement although it is also worrisome because it means that we must be actually struggling to make a change instead of making a change to prevent the future and imminent struggles.

No comments: