Monday, March 24, 2008

Question #7

It is hard to pick THE most thrilling/magical/enchanting experience I have had in nature because I feel like I have had so many. I love the ocean and always have. I was born on the shore and I have always felt a great connection to it. I don't get to go to the ocean nearly as much as I would like to (aka every day) but when I do that is when I feel the most comfortable and happy. This may seem weird to other people but one of my favorite things is getting caught up in a bigger sized wave and having it toss me around to the point where I am not even sure which was is up or when I will get out. When humans talk about nature, many times it is what part of it they own or would like to own or how they are going to use it for their benefit, (for example, making a house out of wood.) When I am getting thrown around by a wave it is more than clear to me who is actually more powerful and I like that physical reminder that nature is ultimately what dictates our lives and it should not be the other way around. A lot of people who travel out into the ocean away from the shore unfortunately do not know how the ocean works and how incredibly powerful it is. I have seen a man die on the beach because he had a heart attack out in the water because he got stuck out there by the current and didn't know how to get back in. People try to fight the ocean currents because they think they can over-power it when in reality they can't. The rip-tide and the currents move in a specific way that no one person could change and therefore in order to survive a situation like that you must not fight the force of the water, instead you need to go with it. Again this seems to sum up what the relationship between humans and nature is or at least should be. People are constantly trying to fight nature when in the long run it is better to just go with it.

something worth saving because if for no other reason, without nature there is no "us". Of course we humans and animals and plants, etc are not going to be here forever but for as long as we can be here we should make sure that we are here. What I mean by that is that billions of years from now the earth will be engulfed within a SuperNova and will be destroyed and this is something that we cannot prevent, (like our death). But for as long as we humans are in this world or for as long as we individuals are alive, we should make sure that we are as healthy as possible and in order to be healthy we need to take care of ourselves and therefore the environment that nurtures us. The more I have read in this class the more I have been worried by the possibility that we cannot do anything to save the earth because we have already done too much damage. Especially from reading The End of the Wild I have become discouraged but if anything maybe we can at least work to make the human-caused destruction of nature and the world slower than it is at the moment.

No comments: