Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My most thrilling experience with nature dates back a few years ago when I decided to climb Mt. Fuji in Japan with a good Australian friend of mine. Although before the climb I had my doubts of the beauty left in that industrialized country, the further I got up the mountain the more I realized that this mountain was cliimbed my hundreds of thousands of people per year for good reasons. Climbing to the summit and watching the sun rise was one of the most unbelievable experiences of my life. Growing up in the city, climbing Mt. Fuji taught me that beauty truly does still exist in the world and that it is often right around the corner. I began to look at the environment in a different way from that day on.
Saving the environment should obviously be a chief concern. If not for the the great things the environment provides us with every day, it should be protected solely based on the fact that we do not know what will happen if the environmental situation gets any worse than it already is.
Why not protect what makes human life so great for us all? This needs to be of great concern for contemporary environmentalism and as time passes, we are slowly beginning to see that it is becoming more and more of a concern every election year. Eight years ago no one could have imagined Bush even mentioning the environment in a serious way, but now all candidates seem to make mention of the issues as much as they can afford to. That being said, I don't promote setting SUV's on fire or extremism.

No comments: