Friday, March 21, 2008

Nature

It is hard to pick the most thrilling experience I have had in nature, but one near the top is probably the time I climbed to the top of a mountain in New York state. It wasn't a big mountain and only took about two hours to get to the top, but finally reaching it and seeing the view was amazing. While this particular experience did not teach me much about the world or myself, except perhaps the feeling of accomplishment, this experience combined with all my other experiences in nature have taught me a lot about life. The main thing I have learned from growing up in one of the last remaining rural sections of New Jersey is how just one small human action can affect an entire ecosystem in that area.

Saving nature is definetly something worthwhile. For those who believe that humans have the right to everything, one good reason to save nature is that scientists believe dozens, if not more, cures for common diseases are still out in nature, mainly in the rainforests, waiting to be discovered. By losing nature, we lose these cures forever. Another reason to save nature is that it keeps the natural cycles of the planet in balance and regulates the planet much better than humans ever could. Without trees, plants, and wild animals, the entire planet would suffer fromt he vegetable-industrial complex. For me, nature is worth saving because it is the most important thing on this planet and is responsible for the continuation of all forms of life.

No comments: