Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Week 2 Questions

1.Our dependence on oil and other fossil fuels is obviously our most important problem. The fact that Americans do not have a realistic alternative creates many problems. Although only a small percentage of our economy is actually based on the oil industry, the American economy is pretty much dependent on oil. The extracation and use of this extremely important commodity is causing problems for the planet like never before. Although we are all aware of this problem, it is difficult to change without any support from the government. Especially when many officials have a stake in the commodity. Our economy is based on oil, and to make the necessary changes could slow down the economy or take away power and wealth from many in government and the private sector. Change must be gradual, but I do not believe that we can afford to put this off any longer. This has created environmental and political problems arond the world (due to a foreign policy based on oil). We can solve two problems by starting to make gradual changes using technology that is already here. A little more support from the private and especially the public sector would help us all in the long run.

2.Living in an "environmentally friendly" way obviously means different things to different people. While to one person, living environmentally friendly may not require much of a change in lifestyle. To others, living in an "environmentally friendly" way may require that we live in a way that takes the environment, as well as damage done to the environment by our everyday ways of life into consideration when making choices. The goal of living an "environmental friendly" way of life should be to leave as little damage on the environment as possible in order to provide for our children and grandchildren.

I cannot call myself environmentally friendly because I do not do enough. Although I have been willing to make small changes in my life style, I have not been willing to give up things such as my car because although I do not need a car, it would make my life less convenient. I cannot call myself "environmentally friendly" for reasons such as these. However, taking a course such as this one at least makes you think about your choices, which is a start.

No comments: